Friday, May 12, 2006

Some random Friday thoughts

  • It's pouring rain right now. This is going to wreak havoc on my bicycle riding plans, I'm afraid. I might even, God forbid, have to ride indoors on my trainer (which turns my bike into a stationary bike). I think it's a crime to ride indoors in May, but I'm training for races here, and the rain ....
  • I'm really liking Cloud Atlas. I've been wanting something I can't put down, and at first I didn't think this was going to do. I figured out the structure -- the interlocking stories -- and then I wasn't that excited about having to begin new stories all the time. This is why I don't read many collections of short stories -- I think it takes a lot of work to orient myself to a new story with new characters, setting, etc. And in that respect, I can be a lazy reader. The first story in Cloud Atlas didn't grab my attention right away, and I got a bit worried. But when the part about Robert Frobisher began, things turned around. I liked his character quite a bit. And now I'm into the Luisa Rey part, and am feeling like I don't want to put the book down. So all is good.
  • I'm beginning to get into The Tale of Genji a bit more. I've been reading a chapter here and there, and at first each chapter was about a new woman Genji was chasing after. I was having to get to know new characters every chapter. I'm trying to figure out where Murasaki's perspective as a woman comes in here, if at all. I mean, the narrator has sympathy with the women who suffer because of Genji, but the story is told from his perspective, and the narrator doesn't condemn what he does, in any way I can pick up on. But lately (I'm 300 pages into a 1,000-page book), there are new plot elements besides Genji pursuing women, and I'm getting drawn in. The story has its own rhythm, and you just have to go with it. There's something appealing to me about the slow, slow development of a story. I'm guessing this is why I didn't hate Clarissa. If 1,500 very large pages with tiny print that contain three major plot events sounds like fun to you, Clarissa is your book.
  • After all the discussion about connections between love and reading, I came across this in Cloud Atlas: Frobisher says, "A half-read book is a half-finished love affair." Indeed.
  • For poetry Friday, I thought I'd leave you with the lyrics to a song I've had stuck in my head all week. I don't listen to much music these days, alas, since I don't read very well with music in the background, and in the car I'm usually listening to NPR. But a friend sent me a CD recently, which I've fallen in love with. Here are the lyrics to "Roll my Blues," which in the version that's in my head is sung by Jolie Holland.

    I've been knocked out
    Drugged and loaded
    River's roarin' on before me
    And I look down at my reflection
    Where its headed, no direction
    River
    Won't you roll my blues away

    All my life I've been alone
    And never have I had a home until you came
    But now love's gone bad
    Its kind of sad
    But I guess that I'm to blame
    'Cause I'm just untamed

    Oh I can see that I have fallen
    From your grace which was my calling
    West wind is blowin' hard against me
    Flat out road is all that I see
    Highway
    Won't you roll my blues away

    Oh never have I longed so dearly
    My mind sees you oh so clearly
    Freight train is coming fast and strong
    Steady rollin' on and on
    Freight train
    Won't you roll my blues away

    Oh I can see that I have fallen
    From your grace which was my calling
    West wind is blowin' hard against me
    Flat out road is all that I see
    Highway
    Won't you roll my blues away