Friday, October 06, 2006

Reading notes

Diana has a post on how she's storing up for the winter in various ways, including stocking up on books, and that's what I appear to be doing too, although there's no need for me to panic about running out of reading material, since I can walk to four used bookstores in town. But I have the urge to acquire and accumulate also, and I haven't resisted it. I haven't really even tried. Recent acquisitions include:

  • Geraldine Brooks's novel Year of Wonders, about the plague -- which makes two books I own about the plague, the other being the nonfiction book The Great Mortality. Some fun winter reading!
  • The Time Traveler's Wife, which everyone I know who has read it (which includes quite a lot of people) says I should read and will like. Looking forward to it.
  • James Hogg's The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner, which is quite a wonderful title. I heard about this from Jane Smiley's book on the novel.
  • Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters. I've read one book by Gaskell, North and South, and liked it and am looking forward to another. I love 19C novels, and I'm happy that Gaskell has written quite a number of novels I haven't read. I like all the potential that means.
  • Colette's Cheri and The Last of Cheri, because, of course, since I'm reading the biography of Colette, I have to read more of her own writing as well. And this is the one Litlove recommended to me.
  • Virginia Woolf's Moments of Being, uncollected autobiographical writings, because I can never get enough of Woolf. Thanks to Diana, who is sending me the book!
  • Finally (for now), Carolyn Heilbrun's Hamlet's Mother and Other Women, because I read about it on some blog, and I can't remember which, and it sounded really cool.

Plenty of good choices here, I know, and plenty more on the TBR shelves that have been there for a while. I should be okay this winter.