Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

My day will be quiet; the Hobgoblin and I are staying home and having Thanksgiving dinner all by ourselves -- well, with Muttboy, of course, who will get his share of the food (although not nearly as much as he'd like). Our closest relatives, my parents, are five hours away, and while such a drive is possible, we don't usually make it on Thanksgiving, largely because we're too swamped with school work to take much time off. Yes, unfortunately, my Thanksgiving weekend will be spent grading. I still haven't decided whether I'll grade today or not; it sucks to work on a holiday, but it also sucks to have even more work on the remaining days because I took one day off. Yes, the glamorous life of the teacher.

Even if I do a little work, though, I'll still have plenty of time for other things: eating, of course, and maybe a bike ride if it doesn't rain all day, and I may even have time to finish Proust's In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower. I'm about 30 pages from the end. Or I may rush through The Polysyllabic Spree, just because it's so much fun. I'll surely read at least one more Alice Munro story, and I may even read a few poems from Jane Kenyon's Otherwise, a book I've neglected lately.

At any rate, to American readers, enjoy the holiday! To others, have a great day too!