Thursday, November 02, 2006

Reading update



I think I posted recently about not wanting to acquire new books. Well. I have. First of all, I needed to buy volumes three and four of Proust, The Guermantes Way and Sodom and Gomorrah. I'm less than 200 pages away from finishing volume two, so I need to have the next books on hand. They look serious. Proust is such a stable, steady part of my life these days, I'm glad to have some more thick volumes on hand.

Then, the way that Book Mooch works is that you can create a wishlist, and then when other people post books from your wishlist on the site, they'll send you an email letting you know the book is now available. So I can decide with the best of intentions not to mooch any more books, but then they send me those emails about books I'd really like that I can get for free, and it's hard to resist.

So when I got an email about Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, I snapped it up. I've now got two science books on my shelves (the second one is Brian Greene's The Fabric of the Cosmos), so I should get to one of them soon. I do like reading science, although I don't do it often.

Also, I've heard such good things about Nick Hornby's The Polysyllabic Spree, I couldn't resist that one either. It sounds like a fun book about books and reading, which strikes me as a perfect thing to read right now. And also, I saw Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves, and decided to try it. I'm not sure if I'll love it or find it gimmicky, so I'm curious. I've found that things people call gimmicky I tend to like, so I'm optimistic.

Who knows when I will get to these, but I'm glad they are around. I still have five points left, which could mean five more free books, so I'll see what possibilities turn up in my email box.