Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Post in which I reveal that I'm a little bit of a scrooge

Sorry! If you're way into the Christmas spirit, don't feel that you have to read this. So why am I doing this Christmas meme if I can be a bit of a scrooge? Because that's what scrooges do! Actually, it's not so bad. I'm only a little bit of a scrooge, not a full-blown one.

I'm not sure who began this meme; if it's you, let me know and I'll give you proper credit.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot Chocolate. I don't have much experience with egg nog. I'm open to change, but I doubt I'll develop a taste for it.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? I wrap them. Or sometimes I make the Hobgoblin do it.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? None. We don't decorate. Now there's a reason for this -- it's because we almost never celebrate Christmas at our place. We travel to my parents' house and stay there for a few days, so it doesn't seem worth the effort to make the house look festive.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? No.

5. When do you put your decorations up? We don't.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Um ... pie? My mother makes delicious sweet rolls for Christmas morning -- that's my favorite.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Trying with my six other siblings to wake my parents up so we can open presents right away.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don't remember.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Sometimes. Since the Hobgoblin and I celebrate Christmas at my parents', we sometimes open a gift privately on Christmas Eve, away from my family. I don't think this has quite become a tradition though.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? I don't.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Dread it. Most years we drive to western New York state where my parents live. If you know anything about winter weather in western New York state, you know this is a very bad idea.

12. Can you ice skate? I did it semi-successfully a time or two when I was a teenager, but not since then. So no, not without some time to practice.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Books, always.

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? A break from school -- whether I'm taking classes or teaching them. It's lovely to hang out at my parents' place and do meaningless things like extremely difficult sudoku puzzles for hours on end.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Christmas cookies with frosting and sprinkles.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Attending the Christmas Eve church service with my parents and then complaining to the Hobgoblin about how awful it is.

17. What tops your tree? Nothing.

18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving? I'm supposed to say giving, right?

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? No Christmas music, please!

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Well, I'll eat 'em. But I prefer Christmas cookies.

There. Now I'm in the holiday spirit!